Watch as Dan Rhatigan shows how to improve that final 5% of your typography with the help of OpenType features. He discusses the history and purpose of ligatures, contextual alternates, small caps and figure styles; shows the effect these subtle treatments can have on your designs; and walks you through how to implement these features in InDesign, Illustrator and Keynote.
Also from this webinar
- Presentation slides
- Q&A: Dan Rhatigan talks fine tuning fonts
- Quire Sans™
- ITC Avant Garde Gothic®
- Metro® Nova
- Joanna® Nova
- Gill Sans® Nova
- Neue Swift®
- Monotype Library Subscription on MyFonts
- Monotype Library Subscription on Fonts.com
- Bembo® Book
More useful advice from around the web
- To Ligature or Not to Ligature
- Working with Alternate Characters
- Typographic Myth Busting: What’s a Ligature, Anyway?
Dan Rhatigan worked as a designer and typographer for 15 years in Boston and New York before moving to England in 2006 for graduate school at the University of Reading. After receiving his MA in Typeface Design, he spent 7 years working with Monotype as researcher, type designer, and eventually Type Director.
He now lives in New York City again, where he works as an independent type designer and consultant.