What's Contained in this Privacy Statement?
- What information do we collect from you?
- How do we use the information we collect from you?
- How and with whom do we share and disclose information we collect from you?
- Do we participate in interest based advertising programs?
- What other technologies do we use?
- How can you access and update your personal information?
- Can you ask us to delete your personal data?
- How can you opt-out?
- How do we keep your information secure?
- Do we collect information from children under the age of 13?
- Do we transfer data and do we transfer data across-borders?
- Do we have a Data Protection Officer?
- How can you contact us?
- Do we make changes to this Privacy Statement and/or our privacy practices?
What information do we collect from you?
What personal data we collect from you will depend on what services on our Sites you use. If you access our web site without logging in or engaging in electronic commerce, we will collect:
- Mobile device identifiers. We collect your unique device ID, advertising identifier (IDFA, AdID, etc.) and/or other similar data regarding the mobile device you use to access our Sites. We may also collect geo-location information from your mobile device.
When you register for an account on one of our Sites (as a customer, an invited user or as a font designer or foundry), subscribe to receive our communications, update your account information, enter our contests or sweepstakes, respond to surveys, make purchases, contact us with questions or comments, apply for a job, connect with us through social networking platforms, submit user generated content or participate in our online forums or promotions, interact with our salespeople, and/or contact our customer service departments we may additionally collect the following information:
- Your full name, username, password, email address, telephone number, physical or billing mail addresses, if you pay for a purchase by credit card the last 4 digits of your credit card number (the entire number is sent to a third party payment processor, see below) and credit card expiration date, if you receive royalties from us your social security number or tax identification number as applicable, geo-location and other information you provide to us when accessing or using one of our Sites, and if you have contacted us or accessed one of our Sites on behalf of a business or other entity, your professional contact information and any relevant details about your business or entity as it relates to you;
- Comments you may make on one of our forums, attitudes and opinions about and usage of our products that are attributable to you, your demographics, your location, your interests, your professional or lifestyle information, your job description, your level of satisfaction with our Sites, your purchasing behavior or history, and your browsing, downloading and other internet- or mobile-based activities;
- Information about you contained in a resume or curriculum vitae, details about yourself that you submit in connection with a job application or inquiry including profile information on any social networking site (for example LinkedIn) if you apply for a job in that manner;
- Information about you that is publicly available or provided by third parties such as information that is posted on social media sites, blogs and other websites; and/or
- Information about you contained in E-mail lists, mailing lists, customer leads, and/or other data we may purchase or obtain from third parties for our advertising and marketing purposes.
When you use our web font services for your web pages or digital advertisements, in each case where our web font tracking code has been deployed, we collect and store the IP addresses of each visitor to your website or your digital advertisements for 30 days to count the page views for our licensees and prevent illicit use of our web font software (Art. 6(1)(f) GDPR). In this instance, the collected data is encrypted. We may link information you’ve provided us with to other information about you, such as linking your name with your geographic location or your browsing or purchasing history, and we also may link personal information with information we receive about you from third parties. If we link your personal information with any other information collected or received from you or third parties, we will treat that linked information as personal information. We may ask you to input a credit card number when making a purchase, however all credit card numbers you input through one of our Sites are processed and/or stored by a third party credit card or payment facilitator or processor, and not by us.
How do we use the information we collect from you?
We may use the information we collect about you for a variety of purposes, such as to:
- complete transactions you have requested or fulfill orders you have placed, including orders you may have placed through us with third party font foundries;
- respond to or follow-up on your comments, reviews, inquiries including product inquiries and other requests;
- deliver targeted advertising, videos, communications, product solutions, and content;
- ensure compliance with the terms of any agreement you have entered into with us;
- prevent fraud as it relates to certain of our products and services;
- conduct research and analysis related to our business or Sites;
- provide third party brands with information about your interaction with our Sites as they relate to such third party brands;
- improve our Sites and tailor them to your usage or preferences;
- communicate with you about contests, sweepstakes, coupons, product and pricing promotions or other matters which you have entered or joined or for which you have requested information;
- implement social networking features you have activated;
- publish your reviews, comments, photos, videos and other content you have posted to one of our interactive or user-generated features;
- communicate with you about your account or your use of our Sites, including the delivery of customer service;
- send you promotional messages in email or text form that we think will be of interest to you and/or to invite you to events, both in instances where you have opted-in or not opted-out of receiving such messages; and/or
- send you important messages about your use of our Sites, products or services.
How and with whom do we share and disclose information we collect from you?
We do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. We share your personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates. Also, we deliver and obtain certain content of our Sites through and/or using third party applications, our or third party programming interfaces, extensions that are hosted on our Sites or through other third party websites, social and professional networking platforms, and/or messaging platforms. When you use our Sites or otherwise participate in services, products, applications, or connect with or “accept” or “allow” third party applications, networks, platforms or services through our Sites, you are authorizing those third parties to receive your information and additionally to potentially share any or all of your information with us, based on your privacy or other settings on that particular third party’s network or platform. The purposes of such information exchange are:
- to conduct research and/or analysis regarding our Sites, market trends, our products and services as well as other topics;
- to allow third party font foundries – from which you may have licensed a font through us – to provide you customer service, react to your inquiries or solve product issues;
- to allow service providers to provide their services in connection with some of our Sites;
- to prevent parties from sending promotional messages on our behalf to people who have asked us to not send such messages; and/or
- if you have opted-in to receive promotional communications from us, to send tailored promotional communications to you jointly offering a product or service.
We rely on third party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, and we may disclose your personal information to such service providers, for example fulfillment services, business intelligence providers, ad serving companies, customer service providers, delivery services, e-commerce providers, credit card or payment processers and research and analytics providers. We do not authorize these third parties’ to use your personal information for purposes other than for which it has been provided, and we do not authorize these third parties to disclose such information to unauthorized parties.
If we share your personal information with any third party, we will require such third party to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information, comply with applicable laws related to the sharing of personal information and we will not authorize those third parties to use personal information that we provide for their direct marketing purposes unless we have explicitly given you the option to opt-in or opt-out of that disclosure. If you are a resident of the State of California, you may ask us at any time to refrain from sharing your personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes.
Please tell us your preference by contacting us at [email protected] or by writing to us at:
Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc.
Attn: Legal Department – Privacy
600 Unicorn Park Drive
Woburn, MA 01801 USA
We may offer community features and public interactive forums through our Sites, like discussion boards, chat rooms, forums, wikis, social networking platforms and blogs. When you use these features, your username, posts and other personal information you choose to provide or communicate on these features may be seen by others, and you should think very carefully and exercise extreme caution prior to disclosing any information as information you post could remain viewable in cached or archived webpages or copied and stored by others, even after you remove it. We cannot control the actions of others when they use or interact with our Sites, and we assume no responsibility for your posts. Furthermore, when you participate in any community features or public interactive forums, you may be agreeing to terms that allow us to use your name and other information you provide via such features in our marketing and advertising.
Below you will find a list of the third parties that we work with in delivering the Sites, what personal data we send to each partner, and the purpose of such transfer:
|Category/Partner||Personally Identifiable Information Transferred||Purpose of Transfer|
|Google360||See description below in section entitled “What other technologies do you use?”||Internal Analytics|
|Heap Analytics||See description below in section entitled “What other technologies do you use?”||Internal Analytics|
|Conversion Logic||E-mail address, Geo-location||Internal Analytics|
|Delighted User Testing.com||E-mail address, Geo-location||Internal Analytics, Services Improvement|
|Qualtrics||E-mail address, Geo-location, IP address||Internal Analytics|
|Payment Gateway and Processing Partners|
|PayPal||Name, E-mail address||Customer Payment Processing|
|Ingenico (Ogone)||Credit card number, Credit card code, Credit card expiration, Billing Name, Billing Address||Customer Payment Processing|
|CyberSource||Name, E-mail address, Billing Address, Credit card number, Credit card code, Credit card expiration, IP address||Customer Payment Processing|
|Western Union||Name, E-mail address, Address, Banking account numbers||Royalty Payment Processing|
|Bank of America||Name, E-mail address, Address, Banking account numbers||Royalty Payment Processing|
|Google Adwords||Geo-location, IP address||Advertising Retargeting|
|AdRoll||Geo-location, IP address||Advertising Retargeting|
|SendGrid||Name, E-mail address, IP address||E-mail Marketing|
|Campaign Monitor||Name, E-mail address, IP address||E-mail Marketing|
|Salesforce Marketing Cloud||Name, E-mail address||E-mail Marketing|
|Brite Verify||E-mail address||E-mail Marketing|
|OwnerIQ||IP address||Advertising Retargeting|
|Mail Chimp||Name, E-mail address, IP address, Geo-location||E-mail Marketing|
|MaxMind||E-mail domain, Address||Fraud Prevention|
|Salesforce Service Cloud||Name, E-mail address, Address, Telephone number||Provision of Customer Service|
|Font Foundry Operations|
|Plan.io||Name, E-mail address||Font Foundry Platform Maintenance|
|Internal Technology Partners|
|Akamai Technologies, Inc.||Address, E-mail address, IP address, Location, Name, Telephone number;, Timestamp||External content distribution network|
|Amazon Web Services, Inc.||Address, E-mail address, IP address, Location, Name, Telephone number, Timestamp||External data storage on Amazon Web Servers|
|Cloudflare||Address, E-mail address, IP address, Location, Name, Telephone number, Timestamp||Web Application Firewall|
|Verizon Digital Media Services Inc.||IP address||External content distribution network|
|Salesforce||Name, Address, E-mail address, Telephone number||Customer relationship maintenance (customer database)|
|SAP||Name, Address, E-mail address, Telephone number, payment information||Customer relationship maintenance (customer database for billing)|
Do we participate in interest-based advertising programs?
Yes. We may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser when you access or use some of our Sites for the purpose of serving you targeted advertising (also referred to as “online behavioral advertising”). We also allow third-party companies to place their own cookies on your browser when you visit our Sites, so that they can collect information, which may include personal information, about your online activities over time and across different sites and serve customized advertisements to you as you browse the Internet. You will find a detailed description of what personal data we transmit to such third parties in the section “How and with whom do we share and disclose information we collect from you?” above.
These third party companies may participate in the Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance. As part of this program, targeted advertisements may be delivered with an AdChoices icon to help you understand how data about you is being used and provide you with the ability to opt-out of that behaviorally targeted advertising. You can click on an AdChoices icon to learn more about your choices with respect to interest-based advertising. From a mobile device, you can visit the Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices website to download a free app that allows you to set preferences for data collection and use across mobile apps. You can also generally opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative by visiting the opt-out page on their website.
What other technologies do we use?
Some or our Sites employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage our content and newsletters by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on web pages and in E-mails and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifiable information. We use clear gifs in our HTML-based E-mails to let us know which E-mails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
Google360 (Google Analytics)
How can you access and update your personal information?
Can you ask us to delete your personal data?
How can you opt-out?
How do we keep your information secure?
We and certain third parties we employ to collect or store your information use commercially reasonable organizational, technical and administrative means intended to protect collected, provided, stored and/or transmitted information, including your personal information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access or disclosure. However, no method of Internet or electronic transmission or electronic storage is 100% secure or error-free, so we cannot guarantee absolute security.
Some of our Sites are operated outside of the United States of America and are governed by separate privacy policies, which are linked to specifically from those Sites.
Do we collect information from children under the age of 13?
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use personal information from children under 13 years of age, and no part of the Sites is directed to children under the age of 13. Children under 13 should not use our Sites and should not provide their personal information to us. If you learn that your child or a child for which you are responsible have provided us with their personal information without your consent, you may alert us at [email protected]. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from any child under 13, we will promptly take steps to delete such information and terminate that child’s account.
Do we transfer data and do we transfer data across borders?
Because we operate worldwide, your personal information may be stored and/or processed in any country where we have a facility or in which we engage service providers, including in the United States of America or other jurisdictions. By using our Sites, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside your country of residence, including the United States of America or other jurisdictions which may have different data protection rules than in your country.
Third parties we engage with that process your personal data outside of the EEA are contractually bound to adhere to standards that ensure a data protection standard equivalent to that of the European Union. The third parties are either bound by Data Processing Agreements which include the EU Standard Contractual Clauses or are US-EU Privacy Shield certified.
Cookies are a small text files that are stored in your web browser that allows our Sites or a third party to recognize you. Cookies can be used to collect, store and share bits of information about your activities across websites, including on our Sites website. Cookies are used by us to enable certain functions and to store your preferences (such as language or currency preferences) and analyze the user behavior in order to improve the user experience on our Site.
Our Sites uses both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie is used to identify a particular visit to our Sites. These cookies expire after a short time, or when you close your web browser after using our Sites. We use these cookies to identify you during a single browsing session, such as when you log into our Sites. A persistent cookie will remain on your devices for a set period of time specified in the cookie. We use these cookies where we need to identify you over a longer period of time.
We cannot offer our Site experience without storing cookies at this time. Therefore, if you continue using our Sites you will agree to us storing a cookie. However, if you don't like the idea of cookies or certain types of cookies, you can change your browser's settings to delete cookies that have already been set and to not accept new cookies. To learn more about how to do this, visit the help pages of your browser.
Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or do not accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.
Do we have a Data Protection Officer?
We do not have a Data Protection Officer, however, we have appointed an in-house data protection representative. Depending on which entity operates the Site, a local representative (internal or external) may be responsible, but you can always contact our data protection representative who will direct you to the respective local representative:
Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc.
Attn. Data Protection Representative
600 Unicorn Park Drive
Woburn, MA 01801 USA
How can you contact us?
Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc. Attn.
Data Protection Representative
600 Unicorn Park Drive
Woburn, MA 01801 USA
If you have any questions or comments about our company, our Sites or have other customer service needs, please contact your local Monotype office. You can click here for a list of contact information for our domestic and international offices.